As Christian parents, it is imperative that we regulate what our children see on TV, the internet and elsewhere
“Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it” – Proverbs 22:6
“But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” – Matthew 5:28
“I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman” – Job 31:1
On Internet sexual content from Online MBA. See the full infographic here:
2. On TV – according to USA Today, teens experience 3 times as much sexual content on TV then on the internet.
3. The impact of all this sexual content:
- According to a Rand study, teens that saw the most sex on TV were twice as likely to initiate intercourse
- According to Pediatrics, teens who were exposed to the most sexual content were twice as likely to get pregnant in the subsequent 3 year period.
- Also TV, internet and games, impact their weight and sleep, depression and anxiety, and even grades
So, How Do We Respond?!
I was planning to put together a list of tools and resources but then found Focus on the Family’s page on the topic and I think it is pretty good. There are other tools out there as well like SafeEyes and Norton Family but this site also contains resources for TV, etc. So take a look at this site and let us know what you think in the comments. Thanks!
Sources for all data are listed in the body of this blog. Please refer to the links for more details. Thanks!
Protecting Your Family by Westchester Men’s Ministry is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at nymensministry.com.