In 2010, I created a set of goals. It was an aggressive list of over 27 goals broken into 9 categories. I’ve been working on those goals ever since. They weren’t exactly new year’s resolutions because I knew that was too much to expect but I think the categories might be a helpful way of determining where you need to improve most.
- Know/Love God – Seek to know God & ‘Who needs me Today?’ (Mark 12:29-31)
- Family – Home is the Primary Mission Field (Acts 10:2)
- Finances – Be a Good Steward of Finances (1 Timothy 6:7-10)
- Health – Accomplish All of God’s Will in my Life (Philippians 3:12)
- Career – God is in Control; Work as on to the Lord (Matthew 6:31-33)
- Ministry – Hope for the Hopeless (Matthew 28:16-20)
- Avoid Idols – Starve the old self! (Matthew 6:24)
- Recreation – Observe a Sabbath Rest (Mark 6:31)
For each category above, I create a list of things I thought were critical and that I either aspired to do, or to continue to do. So, for example, under knowing God my list looked like this:
I choose the goal ‘Knowing God’ to show here because it is probably the most generic and many of these goals probably could apply to you as well. My goals under the other categories are very specific to my walk and may not apply.
I know, and science proves, that the highest achievers all have one thing in common… you guessed it, they set goals. So, I’m reviewing my goals before I start the year so I can make sure I focus my attention. I’m far from where I want to be and likely even farther from where God wants me to be.
So, why not share your new year’s resolutions here, or on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/NYMensministry
I hope you have a very happy new year’s day and a blessed 2013!
New Year’s Resolutions by Westchester Men’s Ministry is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.